Pages

Sunday, May 13, 2012

Silent Sunday- "If Mothers were Flowers, I'd Pick YOU"

This will be a "sorta" Silent Sunday post, so just bear with me!  We've been working on mother's day projects in art class and here's what we've been doing.....this project was inspired by Elizabeth of  
Altered Book Lover- LOTS of great ideas there, go check her out!

Students lettered and painted their borders with the words, "If Mothers were Flowers, I'd Pick YOU"
Then we talked about using the white of paper to create a tint

 For the inside of their borders, I cut two sheets for them to fill with flowers; one with pounded flowers, and the other drawn and painted flowers- next week, we'll choose our favorites 
of the two and that one will be mounted on their final papers.....

really, you have the flowers covered to pound them- but Colson agreed to do a "mock pounding"


pounding the flowers was a LOT of fun, and it had the added bonus of helping the kids really SEE the details of the flowers!
 

Flower Tower


next week they use paint and pencils to add details back into their prints
 And finish their other painting of flowers to end up with a really beautiful Mother's Day gift!
Happy Mother's Day!
x
Stephanie

6 comments:

Valerie-Jael said...

Those kids look so happy! Have a nice day! Hugs, Valerie

Priti Lisa said...

Happy Mother's Day Stephanie!
Pounding flowers...that's a cool idea.
I just looked at your finished paintings...Amazing as always! Just like you♥♥♥

Unknown said...

Happy Mother's Day, Steph! Love the paintings you had the children making. I know their mom's will too.
xo

Netty said...

Enjoy your day Stephanie and thank you for sharing such joyous photographs. Annette x

Carolyn Dube said...

I've never pounded flowers- what a great idea!! What a special mother's day project!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I'm so glad the students were able to experience flower pounding. Whether it leads to "fine" art, or just a fun experiment, they seem to be enjoying the process. And using the chopping block was brilliant. I don't have one o those, so you did a FABULOUS job!!

Although I'm late getting here, I hope your Mother's Day was perfect in every way.