Pages

Thursday, January 19, 2012

Cedar Wax Wings!!! (Or why you should leave privet in your garden...)

This isn't a great photo, but you can see the bright yellow on his tail!
Today was the second time this season I've been lucky enough to see Cedar Wax Wings in my garden, and I'd NEVER seen them before- so I feel twice blessed!  Along the back of our garden, we have lots of privet, and I don't mean the pretty manicured kind, I mean the kind that is basically a weed.  My husband has been trying to get me to let him cut it out for the last several years and I've always said NO, because we have many Cardinals nesting there every year...plus my garden is registered as a natural wildlife habitat and having brush is one of the requirements.... Anyway; Cedar Wax Wings- they are named that because the tip of their tails are bright yellow- like they've been dipped in wax....and they feed in swarms, so when you see lots of birds diving in and out of berry laden bushes, (like privet ;)) go take a peek- you might get lucky too!

Lots of swooping in and out to visit and feed.....
So that's all for now- hope I haven't bored you with my bird watching geekerery!
See ya'll tomorrow for PPF!
Stephanie

6 comments:

Regina said...

What a beautiful bird...and yes it does look as though his tail has been dipped in wax!! OMGOSH..that's wonderful that your lovely garden is a natural habitat...that's awesome!!

Happy Thursday Hugs!!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

WOW!! I'm super impressed, not only with your photography skills, but your garden skills. Having a registered wildlife habitat is a BIG deal. At least it is here. You have to wait five years (be inspected each year) in Wichita to qualify. That includes not using pesticides, etc. I'm so, so impressed with what you have in your back yard! Geekery welcomed here!

Valerie-Jael said...

Just gorgeous, thanks so much for sharing! Hugs, Valerie

Felicia Kramer said...

I saw a Cedar Waxwing in my garden just once - and it was dead. I think it hit the window. They are beautiful - wish I had more. Sorry for the bummer comment! :(

Jaime Haney said...

I'm such a bird and garden geek, so this is candy to my eyes. I'm not sure I've ever seen a Cedar Wax Wing in my yard or not. I'm thinking not since I would remember such a pretty bird. Lots of Cardinals here... it's our state bird here in Indiana. I have dozens of out of focus pictures because of me trying to snap pics of my feathered friends. They are too fast for my camera!

Hey, I'm impressed with the natural wildlife thingy too! cool!

Maggie said...

Gorgeous birds! I don't know if they inhabit our area, I've never seen one at any rate. I know privets are fast-growing hedges that lots of gardeners don't like. But the birds do, and that's good enough for me :)

I didn't know backyards could be registered as wildlife habitats. How cool is that!