Pages

Thursday, November 17, 2011

What's Going on in Art Class?

I'm so excited that I now have two art classes to talk about and the new one is with 5th graders.  I love every age group (except for perhaps teens in their prickly times ;)) so yesterday was great fun to get a new pair of students in and see the difference a few years makes- it was SO quiet!  My second and third (and now a couple of 4th graders too :D) class is very productive too, but they're always chatting along while we do work, and this is fine with me as long as they meet my time lines and get the projects done- I'm all for having fun in art class!
Anyhow, on to what we did- some of these are from last Thursday and some from yesterday, but you'll get an idea of what's what!
Both groups started with a color wheel, discussing the color families and talking abut which colors are cool versus warm and so on.....:
 the younger class got to mix colors with frosting....

and the older guys with water colors....
I'm saving scraps of our good paper for them to use as color testers and then later, well make something wonderful with them!

We then started on one of my all time favorite projects an illustrated poem where the letters and shapes between the letters become non objective art.  
Start with writing the letters reaching all the way to the top and touching so that there are shapes being created........
Once all the letters have been written out, the younger group traced leaves onto their papers- in this case the outline of the shape was what I was after, so I was fine with tracing.......then they "assigned" a color family to their backgrounds and to the leaves- cool for one and warm for the other......


Peri STRONGLY approves of art class
This is the one my daughter did in 5th grade (gah, was that REALLY 7 year ago?) it was the first year I taught and definitely one of my all time favorite projects!
That's all for now, I have to go prepare for today's class, and try to find some time to sling paint around 'cause I really want to do "Palette and Paint" today- and more on that later.....

2 comments:

Valerie-Jael said...

Great that you are all having fun, and that the kids are learning so much! Valerie

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

What fun classes you give. I would feel right at home with younger group. I might even be able to replicate some of their art. Love the idea if using leaves, too. And of course, the cupcakes are fun to see, no matter how many times you bake them!

Glad you liked my post today. I did it just for you!